Theory of Knowledge Course (TOK) – Junior and Senior Year
- The theory of knowledge course begins junior year and continues senior year.
- The course includes a thoughtful and purposeful inquiry into different ways of knowing and different kinds of knowledge. TOK is composed almost entirely of questions. The most central of these is “How do we know?”. Students are taught how to be critical thinkers.
- Through discussions of these and other questions, students gain greater awareness of their personal and ideological assumptions, as well as developing an appreciation of the diversity and richness of cultural perspectives.
- Students complete a paper in their Senior Year called an external assessment which is an essay with yearly prescribed titles
- Students must also conduct an internal assessment during their senior year which is a presentation that is graded by the Theory of Knowledge teacher and moderated by IBO.
- Student must pass TOK to be eligible to receive an IB Diploma. The rubric is as follows:
E-Elementary (Fail-No Diploma Awarded)
Students can earn bonus points towards their diploma for their Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge by being awarded certain scores by IB examiners. Bonus points can assist students who are lacking to total number needed for the IB diploma. Please see the matrix below: